The Iranian president has ordered his country to suspend cooperation with the United Nations Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

After US airstrikes on key nuclear sites in Iran, the country’s president ordered the country to suspend ongoing cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Iran to suspend cooperation with IAEA after US-Israeli strikes

Tehran, July 2, 2025 – Following US and Israeli airstrikes on Iran’s most important nuclear sites, Iranian President Masoud Peshmerga announced on Wednesday that the country will no longer cooperate with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). The decision is likely to further limit the ability of the world’s third party to monitor Tehran’s uranium enrichment program.

Government orders suspension of cooperation:

Following a law previously passed by the Iranian parliament, President Masoud Peshmerga has officially ordered the suspension of cooperation with the IAEA. The bill, which was approved by the Guardian Council on June 26, 2025, is likely to be supported by the country’s Supreme National Security Council. According to a statement on state television, “the suspension will continue until certain conditions related to the safety of nuclear power plants and scientists are met.”

Door not closed for talks with US – Iranian Foreign Minister:

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said in an interview with CBS News that Tehran is still open to talks with the US. “I don’t think these talks will resume anytime soon, but the door to diplomacy is not completely closed,” he said.

No clarity on IAEA statement:

The IAEA did not immediately respond to the suspension. They are still waiting for official information. According to a Western diplomat, IAEA inspectors remain in Iran and the Iranian government has not yet instructed them to leave.

Israel reacts strongly:

Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar reacted strongly to Iran’s statement. “This is completely contrary to its international obligations,” he said on X (Twitter). He urged European countries to implement the ‘snapback’ clause in the 2015 nuclear deal.

Experts’ concerns over Iran’s nuclear program:

According to experts, Iran has not yet fully developed a nuclear weapon. However, Iran is getting closer to weapons-grade uranium enrichment, which is up to 60%. The 2015 deal allows only up to 3.67%. Iran says it is running the program for peaceful purposes. However, the IAEA and Western intelligence agencies believe that Iran was scientifically conducting a nuclear weapons program until 2003.

Background to the Israeli-US strikes:

Israeli strikes that began on June 13 targeted Iranian Revolutionary Guard leaders, ballistic missile stockpiles and some nuclear facilities. According to Israel, the strikes have pushed Tehran back from a nuclear weapons capability.

Different death tolls:

Iran says 935 civilians – including 38 children and 102 women – were killed in the strikes. However, human rights groups put the total at 1,190 dead and 4,475 injured.

Focus on Fordow facility – Satellite imagery reveals intelligence:

The US strikes on June 22 also targeted the Fordow nuclear facility, 100 km southwest of Tehran. Satellite imagery from Planet Labs PBC and Maxar Technologies showed government repairs being carried out there, with trucks, cranes and excavators visible.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top