Hamas response to US ceasefire proposal

Hamas has announced that it has received a ‘favorable response’ regarding its ceasefire plan in Gaza.

Hamas responds positively to Gaza ceasefire, hostage release:

Hamas response to US ceasefire proposal: Hamas has said it has given mediators a positive response to a new US proposal for a new ceasefire and the release of hostages.

The Palestinian armed group Hamas said in a statement that it was ready to participate in talks immediately.

A senior Palestinian official close to the talks told the BBC that while Hamas had agreed in principle to the proposed plan, several key amendments including assurances from the USA were demanded for the deal to be implemented only if a permanent end to the 20-month-old war could be achieved.

Israel and the US have yet to formally respond, although they have rejected similar demands in the past.

Highlights of the US proposal: 

US President Donald Trump described the proposal as the “final offer” and warned that it would not get any better and could get worse. He said that the work will continue towards ending the war during the 60-day ceasefire.

During this ceasefire, Hamas is proposing to release 10 Israeli hostages and 18 bodies in stages. There are currently about 50 hostages in Gaza, of which at least 20 are suspected to be alive.

The proposal also includes the entry of sufficient humanitarian aid into Gaza under the supervision of the United Nations and the International Committee of the Red Cross.

Hamas objects to the GHF distribution system:

Hamas is strongly opposed to the GHF aid distribution system, which is run with the support of Israel and the United States. They demand that this distribution system be immediately stopped and that the United Nations and its partners distribute the aid.

Similarly, the withdrawal of Israeli forces is also mentioned as one of the important amendments proposed by Hamas. As part of the US proposal, it is expected that there will be a phased withdrawal of Israeli soldiers from some areas in northern and southern Gaza.

Israel, Hamas Philosophical Difference:

Hamas wants US intelligence to guarantee that Israel will not launch air and ground attacks again if talks fail.

Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has made it clear that there is no question of ending the war without completely destroying Hamas’ military and administrative structures.

Latest attacks and violence:

The Israeli army continued its attacks on Gaza on Friday, but the US and Israel have yet to respond to Hamas’ proposal.

The Hamas-controlled Health Ministry in Gaza said at least 138 Palestinians had been killed in the past 24 hours. Nasr Hospital reported that 15 people had died in attacks on the tents of the homeless in southern Khan Younis.

Among the dead was Mahmoud, the brother of 13-year-old Mayar al-Far. “What good is a ceasefire after my brother’s death?” she told Reuters.

Doubts over GHF, UN response:

According to the UN human rights office, 509 people were killed near GHF distribution points and 104 near aid convoys. The Israeli military has not yet responded to the attacks, but said it was monitoring them to ensure no harm was done.

The GHF, however, has strongly denied the UN figures, calling them “untrue”. Its chairman said there had been no violence at its sites.

Families of hostages protest:

In Tel Aviv, families of hostages and supporters held a rally in front of the US embassy. They held a large banner with the US flag and the slogans “Freedom for all”.

Ruby Chen, who spoke at the event, said that her son, Itay Chen, was killed in the October 7, 2023 attack and his body was taken hostage by Hamas. She urged Prime Minister Netanyahu to go to the United States and broker a deal.

Overall situation:

It is known that 1,200 people were killed and 251 were taken hostage in the Hamas attack on October 7, 2023. The Hamas Health Ministry stated that 57,268 people have died in Gaza so far due to the Israeli attacks that began then.

Whether this current proposal will seed negotiations and lead to a permanent solution remains to be seen.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top